A BIBLIOGRAPHY OF
THE PRESS OF THE PEGACYCLE LADY
1. Whigham, Peter. LANGUE D’OEIL. 1971. 8 1/4 x 5 3/4 inches. [6pp.]. Gray printed wrappers. Set in Centaur with titling in Rivoli and Arrighi. Printed on Beckett laid paper. Sixty copies signed and numbered by the author. Published price: $6.
2. Rudhyar, Dane. WHITE IN THE WIND. 1971. 5 x 3 1/2 inches. [4pp.] Handsewn in various paper wrappers. Set in Cantaur. Printed on laid paper. Fifty copies numbered and signed by the author.
3. Forrest, Bernard. HER FOOT IN MY HAND. 1972. 8 x 5 1/8 inches. [14pp.] With an original watercolor by the author tipped in. Bound in buckram-backed boards marbled at the press, printed label. Set in 14 point Goudy Bold with titling in Cooper Black. Printed on Hayle Mill handmade paper. Fifty copies signed and numbered by the author. Approximately ten additional copies were printed and numbered I through X and specially bound in papers watercolored by Mr. Forrest. Published price: $25.
4. Hirschman, Jack. THE R OF THE ARI’S RAZIEL. 1972. 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches. [8pp.] Handsewn into brown wrappers with printed title in red. Printed in 12 point Centaur, with titling in Goudy Bold. Printed on Beckett laid paper. One hundred copies signed and numbered by the author. Published price: $7.50
5. ANTIQUARIAN LUST [including] A UNIQUE COPY, by Chiron. SCOUT-OUT AT ACRES OF BOOKS, by Zaldi Waples. THE BOOK SCOUT’S BAD DAY, by J. N.-A. Pichauld. LIBROS ENCANTADOS, by V. Verseau. Angelopolis [i.e., Los Angeles], 1973. 8 1/2 x 5 5/8 inches. [iv], 14pp. Set in 12 point Centaur with title in Goudy Bold and black letter. Printed on Beckett laid paper. One hundred copies, of which eighty were sewn into red printed wrappers; twenty were bound in quarter cream buckram with red printed boards, unprinted red dustjacket. Each of the twenty special copies included a leaf of manuscript from one of the stories. Published prices: $7.50 and $20. A handcolored prospectus was issued.
6. Mallarmé, Stéphane. IGITUR. Rendered into English by Jack Hirschman with Cover by W[allace] Berman. 1974. 9 1/2 x 6 1/4 inches. [ii], 21pp plus colophon. Set in 12 point Goudy Light, titling in Goudy Bold. Printed on Warren’s Olde Style paper. Bound in brick red paper with offset image by Berman pasted to front cover. Five hundred copies printed of which 1-100 were bound in boards; 101-500 were bound in wrappers. Published prices: $15 and $6. A prospectus was issued.
7. Lawrence, D. H. CONSCIOUSNESS. Privately Printed, 1974. 10 x 6 1/2 inches. [9pp.] Title page printed in black and blue within a gray border. Bound in blue marbled boards, gray label printed in black and blue. Gray endpapers. Dark blue Japanese tissue dustjacket. Set in Joanna types and printed on Arches Laid paper. Fifty copies printed for John Martin.
8. Marquis de Sade. A LETTER FROM THE BASTILLE WRITTEN TO HIS WIFE. Heretofore Unpublished. Now in the Collection of Mr. Graham Nash. Translated & Introduced by Mr. Gregory A. Pearson. Together with a Facsimile of the Original. Privately Printed, 1975. 10 x 6 1/2 inches. [11pp.] with facsimile printed offset and sewn in. Quarter buckram, with pastepaper boards handmade at the press. Label printed in blue and black. Printed in Centaur & Arrighi types on Arches Laid paper. One hundred fifty copies printed of which seventy-five were for sale.
9. Pildas, Ave. BIJOU, Twelve Los Angeles Box Offices. 1975. 10 x 8 inches. 8pp introduction printed in Boule Miche and Goudy Bold, followed by 12 photographs, each laid into a printed folder. Cloth folding box with paper label. Twenty-five sets printed with each photograph numbered and signed by the photographer. Published price: $250.
10. Bacon, Roger. THE MIRROR OF ALCHEMY. 1975. 10 x 6 1/2 inches. [vi], 18pp. plus colophon. Buckram-backed marbled boards, printed label. Set in Centaur and Arrighi types. Printed on Arches Wove paper. Two hundred fifty copies printed at a joint publication of the Press of the Pegacycle Lady and the Globe Bookstore. Copies 1 through 10 were bound in quarter morocco by Rene Patron. Published price: $25 and $65.
11. Cornfield, Jim. FAT TUESDAY. 1976. 13 7/8 X 11 inches. 7pp. introduction printed in Goudy Bold, Goudy Heavy and Cooper Black on Strathmore Cover in blue and black. With 12 photographs dry-mounted on 100% rag boards. Blue moiré folding box with printed label. Although the colophon states one hundred copies were made, only twenty-five sets were produced. Each photograph numbered and signed by Cornfield. Published price: $250. Prospectus issued.
12. Roditi, Edouard. MEETINGS WITH CONRAD. 1977. 7 3/8 x 5 inches. , 18pp. plus colophon. Gray Strathmore boards printed in blue. Set in Cochin types and printed on Warren’s Olde Style paper. Two hundred copies printed of which numbers 1 through 26 were printed on light blue paper handmade at the Ashling Mill in Ireland and specially bound in quarter velin with marbled boards. Published price: $16 and $45. Prospectus issued.
13. Martin, Steve. CRUEL SHOES. 1977. 7 7/8 x 5 1/2 inches. 48pp. Gray boards backed in velin, pink printed label. Set in Futura. Seven hundred fifty copies printed.
14. (Hunley, Maxwell). PORTRAIT OF A LADY. 1977. 7 3/4 x 4 5/8 inches. Printed on blue handmade paper. Velin backed marbled boards. Five copies printed.
15. Essick, Robert. WILLIAM BLAKE’S RELIEF INVENTIONS. Los Angeles: Printed for William & Victoria Dailey, The Press of the Pegacycle Lady, 1978. 12 x 9 inches. 38pp with 9 relief block illustrations of which 7 are printed in color. Quarter gray velin with blue Fabriano Roma handmade paper covered boards. Set in Bulmer and printed on Rives by Patrick Reagh. Three hundred sixty-five copies printed. Numbers 1 through 15 issued with an extra suite of plates loose in separate portfolio.
16. Studley, Vance. SPECIMENS OF HANDMADE BOTANICAL PAPERS. 1979. 10 x 6 5/8 inches. 8pp text handsewn, 6 fascicules, each with 1p text, 1 original etching, 1 paper specimen. Fifty sets printed of which twenty-five are folding boxers with half linen spines, paper boards, printed paper labels; the remaining in half morocco boxes, marbled boards.
17. Brainard, Joe. 24 PICTURES & SOME WORDS. 1980. 5 3/4 x 4 1/4 inches. Red cloth, green printed label. Two hundred and fifty copies printed.
18. Pinckard, W.H., Jr. A NOTE ON TRADITIONAL JAPANESE PRINT SIZES. 1980. 12mo, 7 1/2 x 4 3/8 inches. Printed on handmade Japanese paper, sewn into gray wrappers. Four hundred copies printed.
19. Baumann, Gustave. FRIJOLES CANYON PICTOGRAPHS. William & Victoria Dailey Antiquarian Books & Fine Prints, 1980. 8 3/4 x 8 3/4 inches. Printed from Baumann's original woodcuts of 1939. Bound in cloth printed from woodblocks, paper label, dustjacket printed from woodblocks. Two hundred and fifty copies printed.
20. Previn, Dory. ARIES. 1982. Small folio, 10 1/2 x 6 3/4 inches. Original etching on title page by Joby Baker. Handsewn into wrappers. Twenty-four copies printed.
21. Barbey d'Aurevilly, Jules. LAOCOON. With a Translation into English by Harriet M. Carey and an Introduction by Edouard Roditi. 1985. 7 7/8 x 5 1/2 inches. Bound in black boards, paper labels. One hundred copies printed, twenty on red paper, eighty on yellow paper.
22. Cobden-Sanderson, Annie. HOW I BECAME A VEGETARIAN. 1983. A near facsimile of the original edition of 1908. Set in Centaur and printed on Hayle paper. Linen-backed blue paper boards. One hundred copies printed.
23. Neruda, Pablo. SKY STONES. Poems from Las Piedras del Cielo, Translated by Peter Levitt. With etchings by Vijali. 1990. 4to, 11 x 7 7/8 inches. Original etchings by Vijali. Printed on Arches paper. Bound in black cloth. Forty copies printed.
24. Humphries, Barry. A CHORALE FOR CORAL. With a Portrait by Don Bachardy. 1992. 4to, 9 1/4 x 6 1/4 inches. Offset portrait frontispiece by Don Bachardy. Handsewn into orange wrappers. Seventy-five copies printed.